Wednesday, November 27, 2013

17: jokes

Thais don't do jokes like we do. Funny things here are mostly physical comedy (think: Mr. Bean). No joke books, no "telling a joke," and definitely no "knock-knock" jokes. As a teacher of English and culture, whenever relevant to the lesson, I try to incorporate a little rabbit trail on knock-knock jokes. After all, who doesn't love a good knock-knock joke?

Well, class after class, term after term, they've died. My classroom has become a graveyard of killed jokes. No one gets them. No one laughs. They just stare at me with these open blank faces that say, "I'm trying, but I don't understand." And so I explain, give examples, draw diagrams, but never have I had success on this topic. You would think after so many failed attempts I would give up. But alas, I only have 17 days left to successfully communicate the idea of jokes to this country. And so, I persevere.

We were talking today about different types of conversationalists, and the topic of the "interrupter" got me thinking about the "interrupting cow knock-knock joke". I decided to try a new approach. This time, I started off with a brief, and comical, history of my long failed attempts of explaining these jokes. From there I moved on to a lesson on "the sympathy laugh." After I was convinced they understood the history and proper use of these laughs, I proceeded to teach them the knock-knock outline and tell them my burner-jokes (you know, the warm up ones- for them to get the hang of it). Then, I finally felt like we were ready for the debut of the "interrupting cow knock-knock joke."

[For those of you who aren't familiar with this joke. Here's the full three-part version of "the interrupting cow" -- source]

I won some sympathy laughs, so that's worth something! Perhaps someday, a future teacher can build on my work and get all the way to the "interrupting sloth" stage of the joke. But until then, I'll just keep trying!

Do any of you have knock-knock (or general joke) favorites? Please share them below in the comment section. I'd love to have some more recommended/vetted ones for the next time I find myself explaining them in class!!

No comments:

Post a Comment