Tuesday, July 31, 2012

scarves.

There we were, perusing a rack of skirts when Claire's ears perked up. "Do you hear that?" she asks. Amidst all the chatter of the mall and the music and Thai voices, I couldn't figure out what sound she was referring to. I stopped for a moment, then I heard music and the name "Jesus." Turning around we looked to see where it was coming from. Right across from us was a little scarf/hat/purse shop with a t.v. playing contemporary worship songs! We stared at it, and each other... It felt a little surreal. Were we really watching a worship music video in the middle of the MBK mall in the heart of Buddhist-Bangkok? 

We told the woman who worked there we loved the song. And, she asked if we were Christians... She spoke wonderful English and we told her we were, and she shared that she was also! We asked her about the church she goes to, and she asked us why we were in Thailand, and for how long, etc. Every time things like this happen, I am blown away. I am halfway around the world... but whenever I meet another believer, we have an instant connection.

She told us she'd give us a good deal on anything we wanted to buy because, "we're family." Which, she did. She was very generous and gave us a great discount on some awesome scarves... so I had to buy a few!




Her name is Moni, and I don't know much about her, but I am already excited for the next time I go to the mall and can visit her and talk with her more. Also, I told her when the team comes I'll bring the girls to her booth to do some gift-shopping! Her items were 50% less than all the other places I looked in the mall and they were "narak mak ka" (so cute!). And, it's supporting a sister in Christ, so win-win.

6 comments:

  1. What a cool story! You look mah-ve-lous...and I see you've learned a few new ways to wrap scarves ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Scarves are pretty much the perfect travel gift, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aren't these scarves great? "soo-wai"

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a cool moment!!!!!! what an awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that! That is SO awesome! tell Doug to get me a grey scarf...let's support this sweet new "family member" you've found! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! I saw this a little late... but he is bringing you back some great gifts :)

      Delete