Monday, July 23, 2012

lumpini.

Amidst all the buildings, exhaust, and screeching tires, it takes some effort to find a swatch of green. This morning Claire and I ventured out to find some nature in the "concrete jungle" of Bangkok. Our destination: Lumpini Park. It took about an hour to get there, although there was a detour or two which may have made it a longer trek than necessary...

But, thanks to my dear co-workers in America, I have a handy-dandy iPhone who knew exactly where we were and was able to give us walking-directions back where we needed to be. (Thank you, Catalyst!)

It was so refreshing to be able to walk and enjoy the shade of trees, instead of buildings, and see the local wildlife. Lumpini is known for its giant lizards... check them out!



If there was water nearby, there were also huge lizards. The little "baby" lizards were the size of my forearm... Nothing like the little ones that scurry around in the guesthouse!

I really feel like I am settling in to "Thai Life," and our morning excursions are helping me get a better grasp of the geography of the city. I felt like such a native this morning asking the street vendors how much the fresh pineapple was ("Supparot, taow lie?"), and I understood their answer ("sip baht")! This morning was wonderful to just get away, and I wanted to share the pictures for y'alls enjoyment as well.

Lots of love from the lizards (and Liz)!

No comments:

Post a Comment