Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The BSC

[A view from the 15th floor of one of the nearby buildings of the BSC (white building with the steeple). The rectangular building on the right side (with the white car parked in front of it) is where Claire and I live.]

Well, classes are officially under way! Tonight was my first class-class. It is my only level 5 class. Levels 1-4 are taught by Thai teachers, and level 5-9 are taught by the farang (foreigners). I had 19 students on the roster and 16 showed (which made for a really tight classroom). To help lighten the mood and get people talking, I had the students play a mingling game which got a little lost in translation... but I think they enjoyed it? (I'm not sure they would tell me if they didn't like it, but I did warn them that games will be a staple-part of the class!) Afterwards, I had them fill out a little survey about themselves and we discussed it together. 




Highlight of the Class
(This is mostly for the enjoyment of the umw girls... who perpetually must tolerate my conversations on the following topic!)

One of the questions I asked was, "If you could have any animal as a pet, which one would you want?" The best answer? "A sugar glider." That's right, people! Not only did I find out that the Thai people know about and love sugar gliders (aka: sugar bears), but also that they can be purchased at J.J. Market. I think I just made weekend plans.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes! And when you get one you should hold a naming contest in your class, and they would need to explain in English why they would pick that name! ;) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz don't even think about it! I'm not helping you smuggle that thing back to America when you have to move back :P I have limits on what I will put in my suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiii! Abby! I would never ask you to put it in your SUITCASE!! Are you crazy?? The only suitable place for a sugar bear to travel is in your pocket. Sheesh.

      Delete
  3. thank you Abby for your good sense in the matter. Liz--it's what I've been saying all along #unconditionallove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-rye, na? Claire, you know you'd take a sugar bear in a heartbeat. One look into those loving little eyes and you'd be a goner... #unconditionallovewins

      Delete