Monday, July 2, 2012

lunch with mam.

Today, one of my students (Mam) took me out to lunch. She drove us to the restaurant in her car and then ordered the meal for us... Here's what the waitress brought out (in order of my preference):


[Some kind of appetizer... with chicken (?) and corn inside.]
[I'm not sure what this was either, some kind of fried chicken and ...?]
[That's right... there's a giant shrimp floating in my soup! A little spicy, but good.]
[Duck. This dish was really sweet-tasting... but there were too many bone chips to make it truly enjoyable.]

Mam is very generous and kind, and we have really started to develop a good relationship. Today she called me "Nong Liz" (little sister Liz)... and I call her "Pee Mam" (older sister Mam). We had a really good conversation about what she believes as a Buddhist. She is a very strong Buddhist, and was open to sharing a lot of her beliefs with me. Her understanding of Jesus is that He teaches to us to love each-other. While that is part of it, it's definitely no where near all that He taught! I tried to explain that to her... but I think in her mind, America got Jesus, and Thailand got Buddah. Because of our friendship, I know that I will have more opportunities to talk with her in the future. Please pray that I will know how to explain things clearly and that the Holy Spirit would begin working to soften her heart.

Here are a few more pictures from our luncheon (it was in a very beautiful garden).



[The name of the restaurant... I still don't know what it is called!]

3 comments:

  1. What makes you so sure that you are right and she is wrong? All your life you have been taught to believe one thing, all her life she has been taught to believe something different. Have you stopped to see how similar your beliefs really are when you take them down to the core? Perhaps God sent you to Thailand not to change what other people believe but so you can see the wisdom and good in what others believe and accept people as they are. Perhaps God is trying to make you a better, more open and accepting person, not using you to better others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your captions are great...love the excessive use of question marks, ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, I'm so excited about your friend Nam! My best friend in high school was born in India and is a Hindu, and she had the same understanding that Jesus was for Americans. I can't wait to see how God keeps using you to build friendships.

    ReplyDelete