Saturday, April 6, 2013

tourist.

Most days I take special pride in distinguishing myself from the backpackers and “tourists.” I carry around a small purse or wallet. I don’t ever look at the maps. And I use my classy plastic orange BTS card instead of the temporary 1-trip disposables. I even drop some Thai here and there so everyone knows I’m a native…

But some days it’s fun to be a tourist. Sometimes it’s fun to go new places, take lots of pictures and be a part of other folks experiencing all things “Bangkok.” And when those opportunities come, I’m happy to don my backpack and wander through the fields of farangs.

This weekend was a record-breaker for getting lost, being rejected by taxi drivers, shopping, walking and bartering… but it was such a blast! As much as I hate goodbyes, I love the ways that my life has crossed with so many beautiful people for these brief seasons. Here are two highlights from my weekend as a "tourist"!

1. Ginny's Mom 

I spent most of Friday hanging out with one of my Spotswood/UMW friend’s moms... who became my “adopted mom” for the day (she was in BKK for a wedding). I took her to Wat Pho and the MBK mall to buy some souvenirs. While there, we ran into my friend Moni (click here to read about how we met) who now sells soaps! We bought some (I love supporting Christian business owners, especially in Bangkok) and she even threw in a free scarf for each of us… leftover inventory :)




2. LifePoint HS Team
 
I want to say something quaint like, “They arrived as strangers and left as friends.” But that’s not really true… because they felt like family from Day 1. The team this summer was 4 high schoolers and 2 adults, and it was such a blessing to get to spend time with them. (Even when that required us plowing through droves of people in the crowded alleys of JJ Market!) Claire, Jen and I took them this morning to play with the toddlers at a local private orphanage and then followed it with a meal at our favorite establishment (shout out to Halo Pig!) and shopping at JJ weekend market. Some other LifePoint folks met us at JJ’s and we divided and conquered!
 
[Some of our group... we kept getting separated]

This evening we had an outside “Korean BBQ” style farewell dinner... and yes, I did enjoy the unlimited bacon and ice-cream!









Saying our goodbye's to these lovely women! It was fun to get to spend time with some of my LifePoint: Smyrna sisters in Christ. 

[L-R: Mattie, Adrianna, Me & Kathy]

I am so thankful for this team's joyful obedience to serve our Father through loving the nations and the local church. I know that they were a big encouragement to the BSC through helping with Summer Course and in all the other hosts of things they did while here. It's awesome when believers make the Gospel so attractive that even their God-family is spurred on by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment