Friday, April 26, 2013

dishes.

A break from the serious and spiritual...

A brief narrative on dishwashing

Since being back in my lovely C3 room, I have devised a make-shift kitchen for myself. Although the sole baking-worthy toaster oven is on the 2nd floor, I can at least make and prep everything in my room now. I added some shelves, cleared off some space, and made a nice little nook. It's nice to be able to bake cookies, make oatmeal for breakfast and yes, even bake bread! But the downside of lots of baking is... lots of dishes. Thus the conundrum, where to wash them?

[Please pay no attention to the pink wall, I had to press pause on painting and this is the lonely remaining pink wall in my room...]
With only a bathroom sink that clogs as quickly as restaurant ketchup bottles, I had to improvise a little. I needed to have a space that was big enough to do large quantities of baking-dishes... and that could accomodate butter and flour chunks being introduced down the drain. So, voila! Here you have it, my kitchen sink:



Yes, I'm sure the inventors of the “fahk bua” (or as it's commonly known by expats, the "bum gun"*) never expected it to be used to wash dishes, but... it works!



As I sit on the toilet lid, scrubbing my pans, I imagine I've been transported into the Boxcar Children... complete with bent spoons and a chipped mug! While it does make me feel terribly rustic and domestic, I am looking forward of the luxury of using a dishwasher again. (Shout-out: America!) All you people with real kitchen sinks: go take a moment to look at it and be thankful. And maybe drink some water from the faucet while you're at it as well!

___
* I am currently entertaining an idea to do a multi-part series on unusual uses for the bum gun. If you would like to make any suggestions, I'd be happy to include them... should this piece ever be published :)

No comments:

Post a Comment