Wednesday, June 13, 2012

the journey begins.


Assorted ramblings and thoughts from our trek to Thailand...

The Beginning

Monday afternoon (D-Day!) started off with Claire and I in a bit of a panic.

When I tried to check my bags with Virgin Atlantic, they informed me that the weight specs that I had packed according to were incorrect. This resulted in my dad and I re-packing all my bags… twice. We went back in line, only to be told that we were only allowed one checked bag. I explained that because we were going to Thailand from America were each allowed an extra checked bag. They asked to see our passports and then informed us we didn’t have a ticket! 

That’s exactly what you don’t want to hear 3 hours before your flight!

However, God was good- as always- and we were able to sort things out with the airline (we did have a ticket—it was just being elusive). At this point, we were not seated together, but at least we had seats!

Dulles to Heathrow (Virgin Atlantic)

After grabbing a bite to eat on our way to the gate (thanks Doug & Rebecca!) we found our gate, and were issued new boarding passes in adjoining seats. We boarded the plane and saw (to our excitement and surprise) that our new seats were in the exit row!! To non-fliers, this means that we got an additional 6+ inches of free legroom. Normally you have to pay extra for those premium spots, but we got them free! Yay God! The first leg of the flight was awesome. I could completely stretch my legs out and prop them up against the wall in front of us—and we had the aisle/middle seat, so it was easy to get in/out.  What a huge blessing! Virgin Atlantic was really great on the flight as well. We were served hot chocolate and had a “as real as can be expected” breakfast. We both were even able to squeeze a nap in. And, we both scored free sleeping masks, a pair of socks and travel toothpaste/brush! Love free gifts. Thanks, Virginia Atlantic.

Heathrow

Claire is having a blast with all the English shops (shoppes?) and has been buying treats and postcards of the Queen. She perked up as soon as she saw the WHSmith, Pret a Mange and Boots. I don’t know what they are, but evidently they’re a big deal to the British. And Claire. I think she’s having flashbacks to when she studied abroad in Bath. But it is good because she’s wide awake right now… I’m counting on her to get us to the gate/plane. I think I might be in a walking coma by then...

Heathrow to Singapore (Singapore Air)

Warning. If flying on Singapore Air, you should know that the pump next to the restroom sink with colored liquid inside is not soap for handwashing. It’s mouthwash. My hands are so minty.Claire and I had an empty seat next to us on this leg. That is flying gold. Claire was able to stretch out in the aisle, and I was able to spread out in the empty seat. Both of us had successful napping endeavors—which was much needed.

Claire took good care of me on the plane ride. She woke me up for meal-time, which she renamed: “hamster feeding,” because it reminded her of when people open the cage for feeding time and dump food inside. Only we’re the rodents. But, it was surprisingly decent! I had “minced lamb shepherd’s pie” for lunch/dinner(?) and then an omelet for breakfast with “finger muffins”. Which, were muffins in the shape of… fingers. Yum. 

Singapore to Bangkok (Singapore Air)

Claire kept waking me up for more "hamster feedings". The flight was under 3 hours, so it went by quickly. We're both ready to get to our new homes and unpack and sleep (for real). 

Bangkok

We met up with John and Ruth Lapos at the airport (BKK), picked up our bags, got our money exchanged and then proceeded to drive back to the BSC. Claire and I dropped off our things, and John took our phones to the mall (MBK) to get new sim cards for them. Ruth took us grocery shopping. I picked up some Rambutan, water bottles, toilet paper and laundry soap. Ruth also showed us where the post office is and where the IMB office is where we will be going to pick up our mail. We stopped on the way out and got a meal-- 45 Baht ($1.50) for Basil Chicken & Rice. It was delicious. And I am exhausted. If I can stay awake until 7pm tonight I know that would help, but it's not looking too promising!

Thank you for all your prayers for our flight. It really was the best-possible scenario on every leg of the trip. We're both so happy to be here at last! Until later--


Liz

5 comments:

  1. Exit row seating & an empty seat... Wow! So glad you ladies are there safe & sound. Can't wait to read your next update. -Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you made it! Text you mom when you can! Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, your background makes this very hard to read--suggest change text color or something! Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad, I am using a BSC phone while mine gets unlocked, so I'm not sure how/if there's international texting with the plan I have. I need to talk to John to figure that out. But I did change the background! Hope that helps :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all love you Liz and are very proud of you! Do the Lord's work with boldness and we will continue to lift you up in our prayers! Dad

    ReplyDelete