Saturday, June 9, 2012

closure.

I love need closure. I know that life isn't always neat and tidy, and things don't get wrapped up with little bows... but for as much as they can be, I like them to be. There is something comforting in it. So, as things continue to wrap up for me state-side and I say my farewells (for now!), I wanted to post my last "until I'm out of the country" blog post and catch everyone up on where I am and what is coming in the next few days. 

On finances...
God has been so gracious to provide financially for Claire and I to be able to go to Thailand. He has used our places of work, our families, friends, and church to radically bless us and send us covered in prayer and financially. We estimated that we would need $500/mo to live on in Thailand-- and that goal has been met! Praise God!

The parents and staff at FCS surprised me on the last chapel by presenting me
with a check for Thailand and praying over me. I have absolutely loved getting
to spend the past two years serving alongside such an incredible staff,  and with
such awesome parents and children. 
On communication...
Some of the students in the K class at FCS made me laptops so that I could email them while I was in Thailand... (see the picture below) So adorable! However, to aid these paper laptops-- I was recently able to purchase a laptop for my journey.
Also, my co-workers at Catalyst all chipped in to buy me an iPhone to use internationally while I am overseas! Technology really makes 12 time zones seem a lot closer. 



On packing...
Anyone in a 10 foot radius of me this week has probably heard me talking about pitching and packing. Despite how the family-basement currently looks, this is progress:


I did not expect that sorting through every childhood treasure would take quite so long, but 24 years of stuff adds up. I'm paring it down to a spare closet in the basement and my bookshelves (which have been sorted!) I am going to miss all my books in Thailand...


But the good packing news is that Old Navy is currently selling appropriate "Thai teaching attire", and I was able to complete my wardrobe for my year there. I love one-stop shopping! I now have shoes (from a previous venture), clothes, and am ready to pack my bags. Once I uncover them from this mess I've made!

On leaving...
Claire and I will be departing Dulles at 6:40pm on Monday. June 11th. Tonight and tomorrow are "family days", Sunday is "church family day" and Monday is doubling as "AGHH. I Still Need ___ From Wal*Mart And Forgot To Get It Day" and "Departure-Day". We'll have a layover in Heathrow (London) and in Singapore. Depending on how internet works there, I will try to do a mini-post at the airport. Here is our route:

[click to enlarge]

I am so excited for the opportunity God has given me to take His Name to the nations. I am excited to see not just what He does in my life, but what He does in your life as a partner with me in this.

And as always, the comment box below is always open for your thoughts, <3, and requests!

1 comment: