Tuesday, September 11, 2012

call us crazy.

Since Josh and Tasha Via first shared their story with Encounter at our summer retreat, I have closely followed their adoption story of Alethia Grace. Being able to read and hear about the reasons for their adoption touched my life in a unique way. They shared that all believers should have a heart for orphans, because God has a heart for orphans. They also shared that the more we understand adoption, the more we understand our place in God's family, because we, too, have been adopted. For their family, it was not about fertility; it was all about the Gospel.

Since being in Thailand, orphans are something that Claire and I have thought a lot about. How can we be involved and help? And how can we do it in a personal way?

I believe that God gave us an answer to that question... through a sweet family that we both know and love, the Kelleys (read their blog for the details on their story!). They are currently in the beginning stages of adopting a child from Azerbaijan. For them, it's also all about Jesus.

Kyle and Becca Kelley, and their son Matthew

So what can we, two girls in our 20s half a world away, do to help them? We've decided to do a fundraiser... I will be running a half marathon, and Claire will be running a 10k.

If you know Claire or I at all, you are probably laughing right now. That's okay; I laugh about it, too. I ran for the first time in I-don't-know-when when my dear friend Tamra gave me an iPod. (Because, isn't that what people with iPods do... run?) But Claire and I both thought that whatever "fundraiser" we decided on should cost us-- which I remember every time I feel like wimping out and hitting snooze one more time in the mornings.

I'm not really convinced that I can run for 21 km... especially by November 18th. But, I am willing to try, for the sake of future-Kelley. It's a way for us to support not just adoption and orphans in a general way, but in a very specific and personal way.

Would you consider being involved with giving towards their adoption process?

The Kelleys have set up an account with YouCaring to accept donations... however, right now, we are just asking you to pledge. You can either pledge a flat rate donation, or a certain amount per kilometer (a half marathon is 21 km). If you would like to be a part of the Kelley's adoption through sponsoring my run, please send me an email at lizswauger@gmail.com with the pledge amount.

If you pledge, you will receive:
- a pre-race update on my progress and race information (so you can be praying for me also!)
- a post-race update (complete with pictures!) and details on how to fulfill your pledge through YouCaring.

No comments:

Post a Comment