Sunday, September 9, 2012

catch-up.

I currently have four posts in "draft" format and one marinating in my brain... and none of them are quite ready to post. I feel like the past few weeks have given me a lot to process and a lot to keep me busy! Thoughts on culture shock, ministries, upcoming events, my teaching schedule this term... so many things! All of them bumbling around in my head competing for attention and space. However, while those ideas are being fully formed, I did want to let you all know that while things have seemed a little crazy, they are going well. Some weeks here are very much the same, and other weeks are completely different! The past few weeks have been very different. A lot of changes have taken place with our schedules (the new term starting!) with people (we have some new volunteers!) and a general re-focusing in preparation for the new term/season here.

There's a new year-long volunteer, Patrick, who is staying at the guest house and teaching at the BSC. He graduated from Liberty University... and he knows some of our Spotswood-Liberty friends! Small world. He's spent a few months doing missions in Bangkok in the past, so he seems to be adjusting to life here very well. It's nice to have the guest house filling back up after the mass-exodus of August.

Thai class is still going well! Last week I "learned" how to give directions, how to negotiate prices with a tuk-tuk driver, the days of the week, how to reference past, present and future days/weeks/months/years and how to tell time... But there is still a lot of reviewing that is necessary before "learning" loses the " " marks! On a good note, my Thai test on Monday went really well! God was so faithful to bring to mind everything I needed to remember... Thank you for your prayers!

This term it looks like I will have 5 tutees and 2 regular classes. I will also be teaching 4-6th graders during Mini-Course in October for 3 weeks. My regular classes are level 9 and level 6, and because I have less preps this term, I am able to really focus on integrating the Gospel into the curriculum and my examples. The topics for both classes lend themselves to it as well- my level 9 class is starting off with a unit on superstitions and beliefs, and my level 6 class is starting off with a unit on ethics and morality. I have students I know in both my classes, which is really neat. I like not having to start completely from scratch. Peem, who our team met last year on our short term trip to Thailand, is in my level 9 class! I haven't gotten to see him very much since I've been here as his schedule has been very busy- so I am looking forward to having him in class and having the opportunity to invest in his life some more.

Claire and I also had the opportunity to have dinner last weekend with two of the families from LifePoint (Laura had previous dinner plans, so she wasn't able to join us this time). It was such a fun and refreshing time! The VanDykes (Tiffany and Steve, kids: Leigha & Kevin) hosted the dinner- Tiffany is an incredible cook. I put in a request for lessons, and to borrow her kitchen in the future! She made shepherd's pie, which was to die for, rolls, and salad with real bacon bits... from America (I'm drooling just thinking about it). The Hathcocks (Brandon and Crystal) were also there with their adorable son, Tobin. The VanDykes live past the last stop on the BTS, so a little outside of the city. It is nice to occasionally be able to get away from the noise of the traffic and loudspeakers. Although, even on the outskirts, you couldn't see the stars. I really do miss the stars.

Speaking of night, it is wayyy past my bedtime- and time to wrap up this post! Thank you for following my scattered thoughts to their end, and for not only caring and investing in the ministry that I am doing here... but also for caring for me. I love hearing about you all and your lives also. Thank you for keeping me in the loop and for keeping me a part of your lives through prayers and emails.

Lots of <3 from Thailand--

1 comment:

  1. Sure is great to read your thoughts and learn about how you are spending your time. I think learning a new language is one of the most challenging things you can get your brain to do! I am continuing to pray for you. Right now I am reading Isaiah and praying to be satisfied with Him alone, not with what He does or what He gives, but simply with Him. Praying that intimacy for you as you are far from "home".

    ReplyDelete