Friday, August 23, 2013

prayer.

I think praying is underrated. I, myself, am often guilty of mentally quarantining prayers into trite corners of my faith. I don't do it intentionally. In fact, it's directly opposed to what I say I believe! But somewhere in my sin nature there is a disconnect between what I know to be true about prayer and what I act to be true about prayer. What do I know about prayer? That it's not a last resort, nor is it a cop out for action. Prayer is waging war in a spiritual battle. Prayer changes things, and it changes us. It is communicating having access to our Creator, our Father and our "very present help in time of trouble." You'd think I could remember that.


Today I was reminded again of the spiritual battle that is afoot here, and worldwide. How Satan must have a play-day toying with and badgering believers who are completely unaware of his attacks... myself, I'm afraid, frequently being one of them.

There are days here that I am terribly productive (like, pull-out-the-horn-i-need-to-toot-it productive). And then there are times when I feel like I got hit with a giant brick of anti-productivity. Call it a funk, call it getting up on the wrong side of the bed, I'm not so sure it's all a "me" problem anymore. I think there's more at work than just "me" having an "off" day. Now, I'm not one to blame everything on the devil, but, I've begun to notice an uncanny parallel between the advancement of Kingdom work and physically negative side effects. And, after talking to many of the other missionaries here, I don't think I'm alone. In fact, I'm beginning to think that if you're feeling ill, you must be doing some good work for the Name of Christ! (Not that you can quantify your effectiveness by number of trips to the hospital... although there have been scarce few missionaries who have walked away from the last 2 weeks unscathed by illness.)

Anyways, all that to say, I have been reminded, (yet again!) of the importance of active and aggressive prayer. I know that many of you reading this get it; you understand and practice the power of prayer. Our pastor, David, shared that "Satan wants to keep us busy fighting battles that don't matter." Praying is a way to engage in a battle that matters, the one being waged by God for the redemption of His creation. I am so thankful for those of you who plead on our behalf. Prayers from our Church family back home truly do encourage and lift us up so much. It reminds me of how Aaron and Hur held up the arms of Moses during battle (Exodus 17)... Their partnership with Moses lent him strength and victory. Thank you for joining in prayer in the war that's waging for the hearts of the lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment