Tuesday, March 26, 2013

follow-up.

I originally promised this post for Friday, extended grace to myself to post by the weekend, then to post by the American weekend... but now it's Tuesday both here and in America and I have no excuses to offer for my tardiness! So, without even further delay, here is my update :)

First, thank you so much for praying for me last week. Both your prayers and the accountability of knowing that you were praying were such a huge encouragement to me. It truly lifts me up when I hear from you all, even if it's just a quick note saying that you have not forgotten me (or to pray for me!) half-way around the world.

God is so amazing. How did He answer your prayers? My Thai test went alright; I was able to move out in time; I also was able to organize my desk in the office (a to-do item that's been hanging over my head for months...) and amidst all the "being productive" I still had more time to read my Bible than I had the week before! But more than that, He gave me peace and settled my heart.  During one of my runs, He orchestrated me listening to a Spotswood podcast that was on the exact topic I needed to hear! I could go on about all the things that God did, but I'd like to share instead from the podcast that I listened to, because it was my "ah-ha!" moment from the week & articulates the lessons I was taught (and have hopefully learned!) particularly well.

If you'd like to listen to the full podcast, you can search for it on iTunes or, click here. Below is my processing of it with a plethora of quotes. (I had to listen to it twice because I couldn't take notes while running!)

ref: Mark 4:35-41

In this podcast, Dr. Drew Landry talks about when the disciples crossed over the sea and the storm hit and how this not only parallels our own lives, but also provides us with an example of how to view and approach the "storms" of our lives.
"God cares enough about us to grow us, to mature us, to prune us... He made a promise that He'd take us to the other side... The storm was just part of the process of getting to the other side."
How often do I view storms as intentional tools that God is both aware of and simultaneously using in my life to grow my trust and faith? Not enough. But that slight change in perspective radically alters how I view these storms.
"Jesus knows when the storms are coming. Am I aware of how God uses the circumstances of my life to enable me to trust Him? ...and submit to Him? It's easy to say we understand the authority of God, but do we submit to it? ...Don't think ever allow pride to move into your life where you think you will put something in front of the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords that He has not already resolved. But here's the other part of that challenge: as you bring that to Him, and He makes it obvious how to submit to His authority, you need to be ready to respond with submission. "
Uhm, yes. The ever present disconnect of what we lip-service-believe and what we actively live-out-believe. My prayer is that God continues to close that gap in my life. He often accomplishes this through storms, making them, unfortunately, necessary.
"Jesus knows when to apply the pressure and how long... We need those [storms] to clarify Jesus as the bedrock of our faith. We need that in our life. The storm was part of the process of learning obedience. What is more beneficial for growing faith and trust? Knowing what's going to happen? Or trusting the Person who has authority over everything in life?"
And yet, it is so easy for me (like the disciples) to turn God's promises into questions... Do you really care? Do you see this? Are you working in this? And yet, as Dr. Drew so perfectly stated, "Knowing sometimes keeps us from trusting." Am I content to not know, but to trust?
"If you want to see what Jesus can do in the storm, you have to be in the storm... When we experience the compassion of God, we learn something about the power of God."
Are you getting this, too? I know I cannot articulate this truth to hearts like the Holy Spirit did to mine... but this is my attempt. The storm is not easy. But because we serve a good God who does care, it also isn't something to dread. Much like fasting, it is hard, but it is also a time of growth and closeness with the Lord. The storm has not caught God off-guard. He knows what you are enduring, He knows how much you can endure and He has a purpose for allowing you to endure it. That is such Good News! If I want to experience the power and compassion of God... If I want to grow in my trust and faith in God... then when the storms come, I need to follow Jesus' example and "rest in the Father."

No comments:

Post a Comment