Thursday, January 17, 2013

snapshot.

I would never want anyone to think that my life here is glamorous or exotic. Okay, it does have its moments, but most days are just normal days, with me figuring out how to best love and reach out to the people God has put in my life. Because of that, I don't want to only post about Phuket Laos the big moments... I also want to capture the normal and small moments. Both for my own recollection and because most days of my life are comprised of small moments: little interactions, conversations and victories.

So, here are two snapshots from today:

Rahab. (Sound familiar? I posted about their ministry here.) Well, it's been almost 6 months to the day, and God has opened the door for Claire and I to work with a few of these women! Today we traveled to the the heart of the Patpong red-light district, through a little door, up an elevator and arrived at the doors of Rahab. Claire and I will be going every week to teach two classes for the women. My class (which has three women) is starting with the very basics, because two of them do not know their alphabet. The women have such a great sense of humor, every few minutes the room was filled with us laughing about something! Sometimes it was us laughing at ourselves because of how ridiculous our faces looked as we concentrated on making certain sounds, other times it was because of a misunderstanding or my charades, but between all of our laughing and cutting up, I think they learned a few letters, too. I am so excited about continuing to get to know and work with these women.

Tonight one of my students (June) stayed late to talk with me. After some standard small talk, she shared with me that her sister and brother-in-law are missionaries in Thailand! She lives with her parents and her father is a pastor in Pattaya. It's a small thing, but I love meeting Thais who are missional. I also love having fellow Christians in my classes. I know it's never "me against the world"... if it was we'd all be in trouble! But it's so refreshing to know that I have a sister in class who has the same heart as her Father: for Thais to know Him. She said that she would like to come to our Friday Night Life program tomorrow- I hope she does! It means so much more when Thais share Christ with Thais in Thai. Please pray for believers like June who are here in Thailand trying to reach their own people! Many of you know the challenge and burden of being evangelistic in your own backyard... please do not neglect to pray for Thais who are also trying to do that.

1 comment:

  1. I love this "snapshot"! I'm so glad you guys get to go back to Rahab and for June!

    ReplyDelete