Monday, January 28, 2013

my weekend.

When Aom first told me that her company was going on a weekend trip and invited me* to come along, I accepted. I had no idea what to expect, but I've found that saying "yes" in life always leads to stories to be told... Sometimes it's a story of head-shakes and groans, and sometimes it's one with fond memories, laughter and new friendships. I'm happy to say this weekend was the latter! Don't ask me where we went, I have no idea. And don't ask me if things went "acccording to plan," because I never knew the plan. I happily let the Thais forge the way, and I tagged along for the ride :)

(* Claire was also invited, but unfortunately her teaching schedule didn't allow her to come on this excursion this time.)

Photos from Wat Tum Seu:





While we were visiting Wat Tum Seu (the second and final "wat visit" of the day), we went to the top of one of the structures on the top of one of the hills and were able to look down and look out over Thailand.



It was a visual reminder to me of not only the idolatry present in this country (and every country... and my own heart!), but also the desolation that idols bring. The empty land shadowed by their idols.

"But their idols are silver and gold, made by the hands of men. They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes, but they cannot see; they have ears, but cannot hear, noses, but they cannot smell; they have hands, but cannot feel, feet, but they cannot walk; nor can they utter a sound with their throats. Those who make them will be like them, and so will all who trust in them." Psalm 115:4-8 




 The "Sweet Bee" Resort where we stayed... Imagine a bungalow village by a river in the middle of the woods/mountains.







Sai Yok National Park

I forgot to take a picture of the waterfall (whoops), but once other people load their pictures on Facebook I may snag a couple more to put up here! Here are some from our trip there:


[photo credit: Pooka]
[photo credit: Pooka]
 Some highlights from the trip...
- Getting to watch Aom explain to her Buddhist co-workers why she wasn't entering the wats to wai to the Buddah statues (A way that Buddhists "make merit" and pay respect to Buddah. Oftentimes it is accompanied with prayers.) 
- Have opportunities to share with Thais, over lunch, about how the Church is different from the wats... and explaining how as Christians Jesus has taken away the burden and the need for us to "make merit." 
- Building new friendships with Thais and being given open doors to sharing why I am in Thailand. 
- Having some quality time to get to know Aom better, invest in our friendship and (hopefully!) encourage her spiritually. 
- And on less serious notes...  singing karaoke on stage, watching a beautiful sunset over the mountains, running into a goat at a gas station, stopping at the most random & sketchy squatty potties between BKK and our destinations, trying to teach Aom how to swim, and eating new food at every meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment