Wednesday, December 5, 2012

father's day.

"It's not Father's Day!" I hear you saying... but here in Thailand, Mother's Day and Father's Day are celebrated on the Queen and King of Thailand's birthdays, respectively. As the King was born December 5th, today is Father's Day!

Each day of the week is assigned a different color (ideally, that should be worn, but most people don't abide by that). Since the King was born on a Monday, his color is yellow. So, today, the entire country wore yellow in honor of their King.

[Proof. I took this while walking up the steps to the BTS]
It was something to see... and a little surreal, like being a part of some huge flashmob. In the morning, the King made an appearance, so everyone was travelling to see him (it was his 85th birthday, and as he has been hospitalized for quite a while now, it was a big deal). Truck-loads of people. Everywhere.

[Everyone gathered to see the King. Photo credit: Bangkok Post]
This morning, I took Claire to my favorite park (Suan Rot Fai) and as we were in our workout clothes, we weren't wearing yellow. We stuck out like a sore thumb. However, we did take a little post-run photo op with one of the shrines/monuments/things to the King.


Almost everyone in Thailand (including me!) had the day off today, so there were plenty of people milling around everywhere we went. After our run and cleaning up, I decided to try (take 2!) to find lanterns to light. One of the guys at the guesthouse graciously offered to accompany me on my quest so I wasn't wandering around Bangkok alone at night. (I share that for the peace of mind of my mom and grandma!)

And, after a cab ride, a run in with the police and a crazy tuk-tuk ride home, I'm happy to announce that I am back, safe and sound, with my 1st Thailand "Bucket List" experience checked off. (I only have 2 on my list, the other is to ride an elephant!)

[Bucket List Item: lighting a paper lantern]
If you've ever seen Tangled, you may be able to understand my excitement to light one of these lanterns... Well, here's my proof from the evening! Done in memory of Laura Landry (aka: LaLa) as she would have accompanied me had she stayed another month. Miss you, LaLa!

[The lantern... pre-lit]
[Anddd, after lighting it! Waiting for it to warm up enough to fly away]
[That's my lantern! Yay!]

1 comment:

  1. How cool that you got to do the lantern thing! Peter and I saw people doing those in the OBX during our prebaby beach vacation. Enjoy your father's day off of work! Maybe your little niece will make an appearance today to celebrate her wonderful daddy!!! :)
    -Sara and Peter

    ReplyDelete