Thursday, November 1, 2012

sandy.

I was heading out of the BSC today when P'Wii (one of the BSC drivers) stopped me. He seemed quite intent on talking to me, which surprised me as his English is not very good and my Thai is about the same. I understood a couple words and pieced together that he wanted to know something about my family. He kept repeating "doraaadoe". I asked him if it was Thai or English, and he responded English. If you've ever played Mad-Gab, it felt like that. I kept repeating "doraaadoe" hoping that at some point it would click. It did not. So he told me to wait and he rushed off. Meanwhile, I'm still muttering to myself trying to figure out what a "doraaadoe" is.

I see him approaching with a Thai newspaper. Which, as I don't read Thai, is of no help to me. Family... newspaper... "doraaadoe"... then I get it. Tornado! He arrives and points to the front page, with a picture of flooding on the front. He was asking about my family, and if they made it through Hurricane Sandy!

I was so touched. Laughing and smiling, I told him that I understood and that yes, they were fine. (Which, praise God, is a wonderful thing to be able to share, as I know it could have been much worse!) He then asked about Dr. Drew and Doug and Spotswood and if they were well, also. I told them that everyone was fine. There is a huge language barrier between us, and yet, it was so sweet to see how much he cared and the effort he was willing to go through to communicate his concern.

Sometimes, on the homefront, it must feel like you are doing a lot of caring and praying and loving for people who (in this life) you may never know. But Church, be encouraged. Even though you have not been to Thailand, there are Thai people who know and care about you. You are connected to the people here; they are blessed by your investment in our lives, as well as through your prayers. Thank you for your faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment