Monday, November 19, 2012

finished.

[A newsletter will be sent out before the end of 11/20 with details on how folks who pledged can make their donation through YouCaring.]

After months of training, three days of carb-loading and hydrating, November 18th arrived. Race-day. I was nervous, excited, and really hoping and praying that I could finish before the clean-up crew started breaking down the course... 

Crystal, one of the women from our church, came to support and encourage us! She and Claire ran the last 10K of my half-marathon with me. Crystal and her husband, Brandon, have been some of our biggest fans here in Thailand. Who else but a stud would wake up at 2:00 am to help support two girls from her church... and then run with them?! 


[2:30 am... ready to head to the race!]

We arrived around 3:30 am, and the half-marathon line-up didn't begin until 4:30 am, so we had some time to kill and take some pictures...

[Crystal & Claire]
[Claire & I]
[Crystal & I]
Before the race, I had to make a little trip to the ladies' room... I feel like using the toilets in Thailand are always a burden. First you have to find them, then you usually have to supply your own tissue, and your own soap... what a hassle. So after some bad directions and lots of "hong naam, you-tee nigh?" (where's the bathroom?) I finally saw some signs and arrows. It was still dark, but I had my eyes peeled for some porta-potties. Nowhere. I'd walked so far from the race, I knew I must have missed them. Stopping a police officer I asked again, "hong naam, you-tee nigh?" He proceeded to walk me to a what looked like a charter bus. Yes, a bus. It would seem they don't use porta-potties for races, they use giant buses. I walk up the steps, and sure enough, they've compartmentalized the bus and each "stall" has a squatty potty. It is at this point that I remember I didn't bring any toilet paper... So, back to the street I go and I start looking around. Before too long, I spot a girl holding a roll. I approach her, "Khaw tote kha. Oww nit-noy maay kha?" (Excuse me, can I have a little bit?) Lucky for me, she was either feeling generous enough to spare a square, or too caught off guard to say no. I won't go into details about the lack of cleanliness or the fact that it was a squatty potty... But... That's one experience I wouldn't mind not repeating. After that little adventure, it was time to start stretching and lining up for the race.

[Folks warming up... They were so intimidating with their fancy stretches, salt packs and fanny pack pockets]
[Ready, ready! Lecrae's "Gravity" album all queued up for the race]
[Everyone in front of me, I was right in the middle, which I loved!]
[My last view of Claire and Crystal before our reunion at the 7-mile marker!]
I've never been in a race before, but everything people say is true. There really is such a supportive and fun atmosphere at a race. Everyone is cheering everyone else on; it really is neat to be a part of! 

If I had been a spectator, I would have taken a lot more pictures... pictures of Thai people holding up signs they made that were poorly translated. My favorite one just said in huge letters "I DIED." Haha, that was a sign I didn't want over me during the race! I also would have taken a picture of the random spectator giving out high-fives, or the guy who stopped running to hand out prunes to people (I don't know, it's Thailand...). I would have photographed the runners' smiles when they got to a checkpoint and were rewarded with cold water, sponges and watermelon wedges, and the people like me trying to balance all those with my phone and personal water bottle, all while still running, ha! 

But even though my pictures are limited, there were plenty of photographers. Every time I felt like slowing down or being bored (because, let's face it, 3 hours is a long time), there were the paparazzi! It was enough to get the spring back in my step and put a smile on my face. I don't want to think about how many Thai folks now have pictures of my sweaty face!

[This was taken, while running, at my 1/3 point. I was on a bridge and the sun was just beginning to rise.]
[Claire ran her 10K with me, for the last leg of my half-marathon to help spur me on and set a good pace with her fresh legs. This photo was taken after the race, but it was a joy to see her and Crystal's face at the 7 mile marker!]
[After the race! They provided us with free tiger balm patches, which I promptly applied to my sore knees.]
I can't tell you how much you all were an encouragement to me while I ran... and really, this has been such a joy to be a part of, albeit a bit surreal. In fact, if it weren't for needing to slather my body with tiger balm today, I might think it didn't happen! I have been so blessed throughout this whole process. Claire and I started off by wanting to do something to help a dear family, the Kelley's, with their adoption. And, while we were able to do that ($610 was pledged!!), I feel like I have grown and been so uplifted through this process as well. There is something really neat about being able to help rally people for not just for a cause, but for a child. Your contribution, whether through encouraging us, praying for the Kelley's or giving financially is going to make a tangible impact on a child and their family.

Here is my encouragement to you... If God has grabbed your heart about something, run with it. See where He takes you and see how He changes you in that process. It's worth it!

[For Claire's post on the race, click here!]

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad that all your hard work and getting up early paid off! I'm also very jealous that you can now say you've run a marathon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Great job- love the post and pictures. What a wonderful accomplishment! :)
    Love, Sara, Peter and baby S

    ReplyDelete