Thursday, November 22, 2012

happy thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving started this morning at 5:30 am, with a quick 3 mile run at the park. This was followed by showering and heading to Thai school to arrive promptly at 8:00 am. Classes went until 12:00 pm, after which I hopped on the BTS to Arie station to visit an International grocery store (Villa) to buy supplies for the Saturday-Thanksgiving-Feast with our LifePoint family. The store had 1 of my 12 items needed, so I proceeded to go back to the BTS and head home, stopping on the way at my usual grocery store. This is Thailand, so I had to make some on-the-fly recipe changes based on availability. Despite having to google the difference between active dry yeast and instant yeast and look up pictures of oatmeal to have a clerk help me locate it, I was able to find all but one ingredient I needed. Backpack loaded, I walked home, unloaded and started some laundry. It is currently 2:00 pm, and I have 3 hours to prep for class and make an apple crisp before tonight's class at 5:00 pm. After my two classes, it will be 8:30 pm, and I will have to fold my laundry, finish my Thai homework, make 2 more apple crisps and go to bed. 

Whew. Not my typical turkey/football/Bondathon Thanksgiving!

But, despite it being a crazy-hectic couple of days, God has given me some funny moments this week to smile about. Even when things are not as idyllic as I would like, there is still plenty to be thankful for...

Like friends who make you laugh and coin words like "purse jerky". (Credit for that one goes to Claire, who saw me sneaking a piece of jerky from my purse during church... but it was after the half-marathon and I was hungry!) Or embarrassing teaching moments. Like when Dani called one of our students by the nickname we gave him (that he doesn't know about) instead of his real name. Multiple times. Whoops.

What else am I thankful for?

I'm thankful that God woke me up in time to get to class every day this week, even after I slept through my alarms.

I'm thankful that I've been able to make some friends at Thai class... so it's not like high school lunch all over again.

I'm thankful for being invited to spend time with women I respect.

I'm thankful I can go see a movie and get popcorn for under $5!

I'm thankful to have plans to celebrate Thanksgiving (albeit on Saturday, but still!)

I'm thankful for unexpected messages from old friends.

I'm thankful to the Half-Marathon folks for giving me a free shirt, free bag and free tiger-balm strips after the race (I love me some free stuff)!

I'm thankful for the app LINE, so that my family and I can text for free internationally.

& I'm thankful for thoughtful friends who leave gifts like this on my doorknob:


So... To all my American friends: Hope you and your family have a wonderful day! I am so thankful to have each of you in my life. Much love coming your way!
We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thess 5:14-18

No comments:

Post a Comment