Thursday, March 1, 2012

Guinea Pig Interns

Claire and I were able to skype with John Lapos on Wednesday night after our small groups (click here for her post on it!). While we would love to have a definitive schedule of what our year in Thailand will look like, that’s not really practical. Instead of pre-planning every ministry and event that we will help with, John has asked us to be flexible. Which, if you know me, I tend to default to flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants, so this should be no problem! But I did want to share what we do know so far:


Teaching
Monday-Thursdays we will be teaching 8 English classes (this may be 8 different classes, or a couple classes, multiple times during the week—depending on the need) These classes will be from 5:00-6:30/7:00-8:30(9:00), with our prep time from 3:00-5:00 on those days. This will be the bulk and most consistent part of our ministry time in Thailand.

Interns
We will also be serving with John as his “interns” while we are in Thailand. The job description is: “yes”.Being willing to serve and help and go wherever the need is. John asked us this question when we spoke, “Would you be willing to say ‘yes’ to anything God asks from you this year?” That is exactly what I want! I know there will be things that are hard, uncomfortable or not my strongest gift-set, but I want to maximize my time and impact where I am for the Kingdom. And I’m not waiting until in June when I leave for Thailand to start saying “yes”—I’m saying it now.

Friday nights
Friday nights, the BSC hosts something called “Friday Night Life” which we would assist with in some capacity. We did not get to see this while we were in Thailand in August, so I’m excited to find out more about this ministry!

Sundays
Sundays we will have church (of course!) as well as possibly leading a Bible-English Class. There is also a possibility that we may help with a church plant while we are there—which would be such a neat opportunity! If this pans out, I am sure there will be many more posts in the future on this topic.

Other Ministries
During our “free time”, John will be taking some time to introduce us to different established and new missions opportunities. We will be the “guinea pigs” for future teams that come. For instance, before the Spotswood team comes, we will have the opportunity to experience some of the projects that they might work on and give feedback on them. This might include things like the prison ministry, or working with women who have been rescued from bars and helping provide them with sustainable occupational skills. We would also help set these projects up for the team for when they come. This way when our team, or other teams come, we can better connect them with suitable ministries.


Thank you for being excited with me, and for praying over me. Please feel free to comment on any of these posts if you have questions or comments. I love getting feedback (and will love it even more when I’m half-way around the world)!

No comments:

Post a Comment