Tuesday, February 19, 2013

10 things. [part i]

A lot of unrelated, but neat, things have happened this month. Since I'm not sure the best way to capture them all, I'm reverting to a list. So, here you go!

1. Valentine’s Day (@ Rahab)

As I’ve mentioned before, Claire and I tutor some of the women at Rahab on Thursdays. Claire has been working with one of the Level 5 girls, and I’ve been working to teach basic English with the others… letters, phonics, blends, etc. However, being Valentine’s Day and all, we brought a special treat to share with the girls and staff: brownie-cupcakes. They were quite good… the recipe I found is great, and uses low-cost ingredients (ie: no pricey butter required!).



At the end of tutoring, Goy decided to give the Valentine's bear a little lesson on phonics, too! She's always making me laugh... God has given her such a sense of humor!


After tutoring, we prayed together and then went around Patpong to give Valentine’s chocolates to the girls in the bars. The chocolate we handed out was nothing crazy or lavish, and it had a simple note on the front that said “Jesus loves you” in Thai. Because Rahab goes out to the bars on a regular basis, it was a chance for them to do something nice for their neighbors. Especially since they go out enough to be recognized by the bar girls. If you sponsor me; you were a part of this!


2. Valentine’s Day (@ BSC)

I baked for both of my evening classes, but my 7:00 class voted on a full-out party in lieu of a “proper lesson.” Everyone brought supplies, snacks, drinks, etc. and we made and exchanged valentines and ate treats… with a little Taylor Swift gracing us in the background :) I also brought some balloons to add to the festivities. A lot of my students brought gifts, notes and chocolate to exchange… which made it a pretty exciting evening!


[My 7:00 class on Thursday!]
[Bill]
[Jump]
[Aey]
3. BSC Guesthouse manager

When I first accepted the position of “On-Site Guesthouse Manager”, it was with the understanding that it was a temporary position until God provided a couple to serve in this role. In the meantime, I’ve been enjoying the perks of my new apartment home… hosting monthly family dinner nights, baking bread and bagels and having lots of movie nights, game nights and birthday festivities here. The timing of being able to utilize and live in the apartment really has been perfect… but it is time to pack up and relocate! There is a fabulous family, the Hoods, from Australia who have made a 3-year commitment to come and serve in Thailand at the BSC. They, and their three boys, will be moving here at the beginning of April, and among other things, will be serving as new Guesthouse Managers! We met them during the Fall when they came on a short term trip and absolutely loved them. They are very encouraging, energetic and love the Lord. I know they’ll be a great addition to the BSC family. I’ll be moving back to my old room, C3 at the end of this month. Good thing I love that room so much!

4. Park Day

It’s a rare thing to have no commitments for a whole day… but last Saturday, it happened! I decided to spend my afternoon running/park-hopping. I made it through two parks (my “shortcut” between the two parks ended up being not-so-short at all… thanks googlemaps) and finished off the day with a little canoeing in the lake. So nice! I love getting time outside to pray, reflect and enjoy nature.




5. Unite: BKK Pancake-style

The term is over, and so are our FNL commitments (until next term). So this past Friday, Claire and I got to go to LifePoint’s Friday program, “Unite: BKK”. It was a pancake-themed night. After burning a panda bear, making a creepy looking star, and a lop-sided mustard bottle, I finally made a cute animal pancake! Check out my turtle.  I know. My future kids are already getting excited about their Saturday mornings with Green Dye #4...


...[part ii] will be posted tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment