Monday, August 20, 2012

update.

Where to begin?

I have been in Thailand months, and feel like I need a couple weeks just to process everything that happened this past week; I can only imagine how the team is feeling! Please do not stop praying for them, even though they are safe and back in America. God is at work, and He is doing big things. Please pray that He would continue to impress the hearts of those who came... and use them at Spotswood, in their families and in their school/workplaces to make Christ known boldly.

The last 10 days have been the most emotional 10 days I've had in Thailand to date. I'm pretty sure they will remain record-holding days. The Spotswood Team arrived late on August 9th, and departed late-late on the 18th. The anticipation and week they were here was incredible, and the aftermath and recovery after their departure has been wildly difficult... I've been breaking all kinds of cultural taboos since the team left (mostly just crying in public, which is a no-no in Thailand). But my awesome friends Laura and Claire have been on a quest to cheer me up-- and between them and getting some sleep last night, I'm feeling much better today.

This week was by far one of the best (and different) mission trips I've been a part of. It was really full, very exhausting, but absolutely incredible. On most missions trips the focus is the people you are reaching out to-- on the churches you are partnering with and the people you will be engaging. But this past week wasn't just that for me... after all, this is my home. Instead, a lot of my attention and concerns were for the team, logistics, transportation, etc. I loved being able to facilitate their experience here, and then also participate in their projects.

It was such a blessing and encouragement to have my brothers and sisters here, something I have not been able (yet!) to successfully articulate, but it felt like they poured a concentrated dose of joy into my soul. Being able to see Thailand through their eyes was fun, and being able to hear their hearts as they processed their experiences here was definitely my highlight. I loved every conversation... even the weird ones spurred on by exhaustion and jet-lag.


I can't wait to see how the impact of this week continues to play out in each of the team member's lives. And for all the gifts that they bought to be delivered... they are awesome :) And for pictures to be shared. Stories to be told. And the church to be encouraged.

Hopefully they'll be processing some of the things from this past week on their blog [click here to view it!] and this Wednesday night they will be sharing at Spotswood. If you are in town, please go! It will be a great chance for you to hear about what God is doing here, in a way that is a little more personal than just a blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Liz--you know we are praying for you and miss you! I pray that God will continue to bless the works of your hands in the service of Him. It was great to hear from Abby a bit last night and get her affirmation on what you and Claire are doing. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete