Sunday, April 22, 2012

Willingness v. Will

“That delight—in God—is the thing that brings desire in the heart to do good, and desire is beneath everything. If there is no desire to do God’s will, then the doing of God’s will is just outward conformity, and God doesn’t appreciate it at all.

Now desire is more than just willingness. I once worked for the Foreign Missions Fellowship, which is a group of collegiate kids who are considering going to the mission field. You know, every time I would talk to some Christians in college, their big cry about the mission field was, ‘Well you know, I’m willing to go. I’m quite willing to go to the mission field. Very willing to go. Willing. But I need a call from God (or some such thing) because I don’t feel as if I’m sent to the mission field.’ Well, I’m telling you that passive willingness is not desire. I was willing to go to the mission field a long time before I willed to go to the mission field. And it is the desire of the will that God wants.

Desire is the putting of my will into God’s concern. It’s not a passive, sitting back in your easy chair, folding your arms sort of thing, which says, ‘Well, I’m willing, if God would only give me a good swift kick and send me.’ That’s willingness all right. But God doesn’t want willingness, He wants will! He wants your will put behind those desires.”

-Jim Elliot: A Christian Martyr Speaks to You, pg. 25
I recently read this quote and it resonated strongly with my own life. Since I was in 3rd grade I have been saying I want to "do" missions. Or, at least, that I am willing to do them. Granted, missions may look different in 3rd grade than it does for me at 24, but I think that Jim Elliot nailed it. God doesn't want our willingness, He wants will.

For me, missions started small.  It started back at square one, with Pastor Doug asking me what it looked like to "love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul and mind... and love my neighbor as myself." At 20, I wasn't satisfied with my canned answer to that question. At 24, I'm still working it out. I had to re-learn what the Gospel means* and its practical implications in my life. I went from there to loving my family, my classmates, trying to share the Truth of Jesus Christ in those relationships, and letting Him affect certain relationships in my life. After that, it was being a part of GotLife, doing local missions projects and slowly, slowly, being pushed outside of myself and further into the world.

Once I started to grasp what it meant practically to be saved, it started to change everything. Being saved wasn't just a future event (ie: I am saved from Hell) but also something that daily could (and did!) make a difference in my life. I have already been accepted. I have already been forgiven. I have already been adopted. I have already been made righteous. As Michael Kelley says, it's "already, but not yet." I already have these things... but they are not yet fully realized and manifested in my life. But they are there. And they should begin to impact my life and my attitude and behavior.

When we are delighting in God, and desiring what He desires, then that naturally will push us towards missional living. We aren't "going out" because of obligation, but because time with Him is aligning our will with His will. And His will, is for the nations to know Him and worship Him.

Praise the LORD, all you nations;
extol Him, all you peoples."
-Ps. 117:1

 ________
* I highly recommend the book What is the Gospel? which tackles this in a very solid and succinct way. It's one of the books I have referenced most concerning the Gospel... aside from the Bible. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment